This applies to both the 5CD version and the DVD version.
1. Install the game. Don't install anything else it offers to install, unless you don't already have quicktime installed. If that is the case, install the version from the CD.
2. Download the Quicktime fix:
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8OW28ZKM
Mirror 2: http://www.4shared.com/file/lYQuuD6q/QT_online.html
3. Open the Riven install folder (sometimes C:/Program Files/Riven, but can differ). Copy the quicktime fix into the folder.
4. Right-click the Riven exe and click Properties. Set the compatability to Windows 98/Windows ME and tick the box next to Disable visual themes. Then click OK.
5. Open the file Mohawk.w32 in notepad. Change the line fEnableAudioProxy=true to fEnableAudioProxy=false. Save the file and close it.
The game should now run.