This game *should* run without a problem....well apart from the in-game movies....these either don't run or crash the game...
With this the in-game movies play....and it stops some (if not all - I haven't experienced any) of the crash issues....
I have only tried this in XP...but I am sure it will work for other versions of Windows....
1. Install the game from the cd as usual.
2. This is the video codec needed to play the movies...so download it:
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1LZ8KQKZ
Mirror 2: http://www.4shared.com/file/TjMx1qaj/2362_iv5setup.html
3. Install the video codec but don't restart your system when it asks you to....theres no point...it actually conflicts with things like media player and so Windows will ignore it randomly without warning...but if you notice the movies not working click start and then run...in the run box type in regsvr32 "c:\your\path\to\thief\LGVID.AX" and press enter...this will re-register the codec...again temporerily.
4. Download the official 1.33 patch:
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6PMZB74I
Mirror 2: http://www.4shared.com/file/rLXRCr1s/thief133.html
5. Install the patch.
4. Open the CD...Somewhere in there is a folder called Movies...copy everything in there.
5. Open your install folder (usually C:/Thief)...and paste the movies in the movies folder.
6. In the install folder is a file called INTRFACR.CRF...copy this and paste it into the intrface folder.
7. In the install folder is a file called install.cfg...open it with notepad.
8. Remove all references to your CD drive
e.g movie_path C:\Thief\movies+D:\movies = movie_path C:\Thief\movies
Here is how mine reads as a reference:
Notice how I removed the CD_Path line...this makes the game not need the CD at all (no I never thought it would be that simple either)....Also notice the added C:\Thief\intrface...this is to reference the file that was copied in step 6.
Remember to save the file.
9. Download this fixed exe:
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G6XGCW9S
Mirror 2: http://www.4shared.com/file/pZ4TzZfY/THIEF.html
(this fixes some crash issues and no-start issues).
10. Replace the Thief.exe with the fixed exe.
Now the movies should run...and the game no longer needs the CD.