Another game where the movies cause a crash...or simply don't work...this kinda ruins the game experience...
I have only tried this in XP...but I am sure it will work for other versions of Windows....
1. Install the game from the CD.
2. This is the video codec needed to play the movies...so download it:
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1LZ8KQKZ
Mirror 2: http://www.4shared.com/file/TjMx1qaj/2362_iv5setup.html
3. Install the video codec but don't restart your system when it asks you to....theres no point...it actually conflicts with things like media player and so Windows will ignore it randomly without warning...but if you notice the movies not working click start and then run...in the run box type in regsvr32 "c:\your\path\to\thief\LGVID.AX" and press enter...this will re-register the codec...again temporerily.
4. Download the official 118 patch:
(Budget Buy Version)
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4QV8L29J
Mirror 2: http://www.4shared.com/file/Vr6KiGZ9/t2patch107_118.html
(Retail Version/Sold Out Version)
Mirror 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=401LKFG5
Mirror 2: http://www.4shared.com/file/5BvgJ6RK/thf2v118.html
5. Install the patch.
4. Open the CD...Somewhere in there is a folder called Movies...copy everything in there.
5. Open your install folder (usually C:/Program Files/Thief2)...and paste the movies in the movies folder.
7. In the install folder is a file called install.cfg...open it with notepad.
8. Remove all references to your CD drive
e.g movie_path C:\Program Files\Thief2+D:\movies = movie_path C:\Program Files\Thief2
Here is how mine reads as a reference:
install_path C:\Program Files\Thief2
resname_base C:\Program Files\Thief2\res
load_path C:\Program Files\Thief2
script_module_path C:\Program Files\Thief2
movie_path C:\Program Files\Thief2\movies
Notice how I removed the CD_Path line...this makes the game not need the CD at all (no I never thought it would be that simple either).
Remember to save the file.
9. Now open DARKINST.CFG and do the same as above...yep exactly the same.
Now the movies should run...and the game no longer needs the CD.